This is a simple and easy to make recipe for lunch or dinner.
Start by steaming rice, Basmati rice is traditional rice from India. Basmati is imported from the east and available at all Indian grocery stores and many health food stores. Substitute with white or brown rice if needed, however, basmati rice is extra special in that it is nutritious and has very good flavor.
What is Needed:
– 2 to 3 cups steamed basmati rice
– ½ cup roasted cashew pieces
– ½ cup of peas
– 2 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter,
olive/coconut oil for vegan
– Pinch of turmeric powder
– Pinch of hing (a spice used in many Indian dishes)
– ½ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
– Fresh tomatoes diced, for garnish
– Freshly chopped coriander leaves or dry spice
Once the rice is steamed, the dish is ready to assemble…
Add the ghee to a clean pot, and then add the steamed rice.
Add turmeric, hing, coriander, and salt. Stir ingredients together until well mixed, making sure not to crush/over work the rice.
Add cashews and peas, blend into rice mixture and heat through.
Garnish with the tomatoes and more coriander.
Serve with chapatis or flat bread if desired.
Hint: Replace the ghee with extra virgin olive oil or coconut to make a vegan dish. Serves 4