A great recipe for using leeks/ramps vs. onion rings. Or make some of each for a snack. Another way to use leeks as part of a meal.
- 8 ounces ramps
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
- A deep-fry thermometer
- Trim greens from ramps; reserve for another use such as adding into a salad or pickling/fermenting.
- Place buttermilk in a shallow dish. Combine flour, salt, black pepper, and cayenne in another shallow dish. Coat ramps in flour mixture, then buttermilk, then flour mixture again.
- Fit a large pot with a deep-fry thermometer. Pour in oil to a depth of 2″; heat over medium-high until thermometer registers 350°.
- Fry ramps until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes.
Drain on paper towels; season with salt.
Serve with lemon wedges.