~ Fermented – Vegan ~
This is an excellent fermented sports drink containing electrolytes, vitamins, and some protein. Easy top make with some common ingredients. Very refreshing when a pick-me-up drink is needed!
- 1 Quart (1 L) filtered water
- 1⁄2 Cup (100 g) granulated sugar or use 3/4 cup honey
- Pinch of sea salt
- Juice of 4 lemons, limes, or a combination
- 1⁄2 Cup (125 ml) live Dairy whey, water kefir starter, or wild yeast fermentation
- 1⁄4 Cup (65 g) frozen raspberries or strawberries (optional)
- Warm 1 pint (500 ml) of water in a pot over low heat. Stir in the sugar and salt until dissolved. Remove from the heat, add the remaining 1 pint (500 ml) of water, and let it cool down below body temperature. Add the lemon juice, whey, and raspberries (if using).
- Pour the Lemongina into a glass or ceramic jar and close the lid and shake. Write the brewing date on a piece of masking tape and stick it to the outside of the jar.
- Let it sit at room temperature for 3 to 7 days, depending on the temperature. Agitate at least once a day to prevent mold from forming. Begin tasting at the first sign of bubbles. It is done when it is fizzy and sour and tangy. Refrigerate once it reaches desired taste. The raspberries may be removed or left in.
Yields: 4 Servings (8 oz/250 ml, Each)
Try this refreshing beverage for those hot summer days when a nice cool drink is desired. Said to be a great mixer for a ‘gin and tonic’. Don’t forget to check out Tepache recipe, in the files section, for a fruitier beverage also from Mexico!
For culturing starters, like kefir, koji spores, or Kombucha and fermentation supplies visit our Organic-Cultures online store.
Live, Grow, and Share Cultured Foods…Happy Culturing!